Pages

13 November 2010

MoFo Day 13! Pho: First Try

Pho. I've only had it in an actual restaurant once, but that one time was enough to open my eyes to the awesomeness that is pho.

I've made it on my own, once before, but I couldn't find the recipe I used before. I'd heard good things about the one at Veglicious, so I decided to make it for MoFo.


The flavor of the broth was great, but I made a few silly mistakes that would have greatly improved the meal. I made a batch of V'con seitan yesterday, sliced it thinly and dropped it in the broth while it was cooking. I really should have sauteed the seitan. The texture was way too rubbery. The Veglicious recipe calls for rice noodles, but I accidentally bought bean noodles. Whoops. They weren't terrible, but rice noodles would definitely have been better. I think next time I make it, I'll cut the onion smaller and sautee them a little more.

I think I'd also like too try it again with tofu or mushroooms. Pho's a great warming soup for the chillier weather that's right around the corner. Since it's fairly inexpensive and easy, I'll definitely try it again with a few variations

3 comments:

  1. Looks good! I've done that with seitan before too. I've since learned to saute it and add it last!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hell that does look good. I've also made the same mistake with seitan but we live and learn hey.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a fantastic soup - I've never had pho but I really want to now.

    ReplyDelete