Pages

07 November 2010

MoFo Day 5 (really late)! Filler post about cookbooks! Part the first.


I have a lot of cookbooks. Way more than I probably need. Definitely more than I actually use. But since I didn't feel like cooking today/eat anything interesting/do anything else even remotely blogable, this is what you get (in no particular order, which is how I do everything, 'cause that's how I roll). Onward!

1. Vegan with a Vengeance, Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero


The first time I went vegan was on 1 November 2008 (oddly coincidentally World Vegan Day). I was dating this cute beardy vegan boy and it seemed like the thing to do. For Christmas that year, I basically just asked for cookbooks. The one I wanted more than any other was Vegan with a Vengeance, which my brother, who was 19 at the time, gave me. Best little bro ever! Two years later, it's easily my most used, most loved and most stained cookbook, and it really is the book that started it all. Prior to VWAV, as its fans so lovingly shorten it, I hadn't really cooked. I'd cooked, but not really cooked. Trial and error was the name of the game back then. I lived on pasta with jarred sauce, rice and curry packets, veggie burgers and an alarmingly small amount of vegetables. That vegan boy introduced me to vegan pizza. With mushrooms. Which I previously hated. But ate anyway. Because he was that cute*. He also started my love affair with Ethiopian food, which I would probably eat every day, if I could.

Favorite recipes:
-scrambled tofu
-cherry almond muffins
-chipotle, corn, black bean stew
-classic pesto
-sundried tomato gnocchi
-mango ginger tofu
-green thai curry
-sundried tomato pesto
-pumpkin oatmeal cookies
-PB oatmeal cookies (I always add chocolate chips)
-raspberry chocolate chip blondies
-ginger macadamia coconut carrot cake
-lemon gem cupcakes
-gingerbread apple pie

*Cute beardy vegan boy was cute, but it didn't work out. You know what did work out? Fred. Hi, baby! You're way cuter than the vegan boy (even though you're omni). A million hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment