Pages

08 November 2010

MoFo Day 8! Carrot Raisin Spice Cookies

I love cookies. I unnaturally love cookies. I would love to eat cookies for all my nourishment, but I’m pretty sure I’d balloon up to 1000 pounds. Fred (aka The Boy) bought me Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar last winter. One day it just showed up on my stairs from Amazon. I had no idea he’d ordered it, I just found it when I checked the mail one day. On the packing slip it said, ‘You better make me some damn cookies!!’

I always oblige that request, though probably not as often as I’d like. Fred is my guinea pig when it comes to cooking and baking. Thankfully, he loves everything I’ve ever made. But then again, he eats anything and everything.

Whenever I buy a new cookbook, I take a stack of tiny post-it flags and mark the recipes that sound best. VCIYCJ is one of the only cookbooks without any flags. Why, when I love cookies so much? Simple. Every damn page would have a flag, so why bother?

So, yeah. This weekend, I told Fred I’d make him some cookies because he’s been helping me out a lot since my surgery, and he’s just a generally awesome guy. Plus, I love him. His favorite type of cake is carrot cake, so when I told him I’d bake him cookies, I knew this time I’d make the Carrot Raisin Spice cookies. I haven’t tried that recipe yet, and they sounded awesome.

(For some reason I felt the need to pile all 2 dozen cookies on one tiny little plate.)


I refused to tell him what kind of cookies I'd made until he got here. His first reaction was that they tasted like crispy muffins, but in a good way. ‘They’re fucking so good,’ were his exact words.

I totally loved them. The orange zest and coconut give them an almost tropical flavor that I wasn’t expecting. The crispy edges with the chewier center were a great contrast. We ate them plain, without the suggested lemon glaze. I don’t know that they need it. They have the perfect level of sweetness, much of wich is from the natural sugars of the carrot raisins and coconut. I like glaze, but these were so amazing on their own. Totally going in my cravings list.

No comments:

Post a Comment