Pages

02 November 2010

MoFo Day 2! Seitan Shepherdess Pie

First things first...internet is back! Yeah!

Back to business. A few weeks ago, I made the Tempeh Shepherdess Pie from Veganomicon. I totally loved it, and have been craving it ever since! I’m not the biggest tempeh fan, so I made a mental note to revisit it again using seitan. That time has come!

This afternoon, I made a batch of Simple Seitan, also from V’con. The instructions for the pie say to boil the tempeh. I knew that wouldn’t work for the seitan and I would end up with a giant blobby mess. So, I looked around the book for another method of prepping the seitan before assembling the pie. The instructions for the Almost All American Seitan Pot Pie worked perfectly the last time I made it. So I sauteed the finished seitan in 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil for about 10 minutes and drained it in a colander. Making seitan is definitely a lot more work than buying tempeh, but I’m in a bit of a monetary crisis at the moment. Plus, I’ve been working on my seitan techniques lately after numerous failed attempts.

This was sooooooo good. I added some extra almond milk in the potato layer (on accident--chronic over-pourer), which made it extra creamy. I was afraid the seitan was a little mushy at first, but by the end of the piece I ate, those woes were long forgotten. The tempeh in my first go-round gave an almost lentil texture that I did like. Either way, this recipe is a total winner.

Fresh out of the oven.

A little steam action on the serving shot.


3 comments:

  1. That looks wonderful! I've been wanting to make seitan for a long time now, but have always been too scared to try. It's one of my MoFo goals now, so I'll refer back to this post when I get to it.

    BTW, love the blog title!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. Thanks! The boy says it often, so when I was thinking of a title, I had to see if it was available.

    Seitan is easier than I thought it would be. Search around for a recipe that works for you. There are soooo many.

    ReplyDelete